Funnily enough, we are also experiencing this issue with the root owned files. Randomly, and without any definable pattern, so far as we can tell, we'll get a file that suddenly is owned by root:root with rw permissions and we have to go in and correct the permissions. So far we haven't been able to nail down the cause of this.

Mark Hodge wrote:

Hi,

I've recently setup a csync cluster between 3 nodes and although the
ring model works ok, it obviously fails when the middle server (node
2) is offline. Therefore I've been trying to get a working config that
is something like this:

node1 => node2 + node3
node2 => node1 + node3
node3 => node1 + node2

So at least if node2 is offline, node1+node3 are still syncing.

Is this the best way to achieve this? using "master (slave)" pairs?

I ended up putting csync on all nodes in a cron every minute (lsync
would crash occasionally) when csync returned errors.

I got lots of "Database is busy, sleeping a sec" errors, which I
presumed was because csync was running at the same time on each node
and causing db locks. So I staggered them, at 0, 20 and 40 sec in the
minute which got rid of the "busy" errors.

However, occasionally I will get random files appear one one or more
nodes owned by "root" with perms "rw" only for owner. This means
standard users cannot access these files. I suspect that csync is
somehow failing to set uid/gid/perms after the copy.

How can this happen?

Mark.