-Caveat Lector-

----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Stokes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> In a message dated 99-08-20 02:03:34 EDT, Keachie writes:
>
> << These critters have much more in common in their DNA than do
> say any of them and horses.>>
>
> You're walking on the beach. You see something glittering in the
> sand. You dig carefully and discover a shiny, solid gold pocket
> watch. You snap open the lid to reveal a beautifully crafted face,
> with gold hands ticking across black roman numeral lettering. What
> can you assume about the watch? Do you think that the sand and other
> minerals swirled together over millions of years, and finally, com-
> pletely by chance, "evolved" into a watch? Or do you assume that
> someone crafted the watch from metals and glass, and "created" it
> according to an intelligent design? Weighing the probabilities in
> your mind, you come to the logical conclusion that an intelligent
> being crafted it, organizing it from the elements.

This argument has been dealt with endlessly in the past.

1) Lifeforms ain't watches.

2) We can easily observe the presence of watchmakers; creators aren't
  so easily discerned, only inferred, and can't be tested for.

3) Watches have just the necessary mechanical parts to perform their
  intended function, plus possibly a few decorative flourishes.  Homo
  Sapiens and other lifeforms have all sorts of non- and dys-functional
  features that make sense in an evolutionary context since they don't
  necessarily kill-off a creature before it reproduces, but that in a
  creationist context suggest total incompetence on a creator's part.

4) Evolution can be observed in any microbiology lab.  Researchers
  have shown that the chemical and organizational bases of life can
  be replicated in the lab - 'creators' aren't NEEDED to explain the
  origin of life.  Abiogenesis and evolutionary theories WORK as
  explanations of observed phenomena - creationism doesn't.

5) You'll believe whatever you want to believe.