-Caveat Lector-

June:

>There is no 'perhaps' about it...banks are nothing if not redundant in
>their recordkeeping, and are obsessive over keeping paper records...

Let's try this another, more "easy-to-understand" way. Please explain how
banks and other financial institutiona act to ENSURE the adequate keeping
of individual customer records. Have the banks initiated any plan to ENSURE
that funds from individual depositers are protected in the same manner as
those representing the bank's revenue?

>There's no 'hope' involved, a full system backup on December 31st has
>been SOP for financial institutions for decades,

Isn't this just wonderful! Now, how about the computer programs which
process and interpret these vast spools of information? Will they be usable
after the first of the year? If so, can you guarantee this at least for
your employer? Are you willing to pay your employer's losses if you are wrong?

>You are only one of dozens of Chicken Littles predicting the sky will
>fall.

I guess it all depends on the expert to which we listen. I have two friends
who work as computer programmers, one of whom is a systems analyst for the
US courts (being profficient in PERL, COBOL, C++, et. al) and both have
purchased emergency provisions and have made plans to be well away from
major metros around the end of the year. What do you know that they don't?

>..I'm referring to people following the advice you all give, if they
>do they will bring about the very thing you fear...

Please elaborate on your qualifications in order to render credence to this
claim.  Are you a sociologist or an economist?

>Or do you?  I always hear an undertone of glee in all of you Chicken
>Little's predictions...

Yep, you caught me! I really have something to gain by suggesting that
people exercise their own free will and be their own free moral agents.
You, on the other hand, seem to have been the more 'altruistic' one by
attacking my efforts and asking that we rely on the propaganda from
governmental and financial institutions. All of a sudden, us chicken
littles are looking damn good by comparision, don't ya think? :-)

>Because what you predict, and what you encourage others to do, is >NOT
rational....

I have predicted nothing. I have suggested that people act in THEIR OWN
best interest. I don't give a damn about your precious institutions!
Rationality is a matter of individual perspective (opinion) and, as far as
I can tell, yours is qualitatively no better than mine. Based on my
discussions with you on this issue, I cannot help but wonder if I should
have been more vehement with my suggestions.

Edward   ><+>
WARNING!  Stay OUT of America's cities on 1/1/2,000!!
Edward   Britton   ><+>
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5285/connector1.html
Reality Pump: http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/Reality_Pump2