-Caveat Lector-

Actually, I had not heard James Baker speak on the subject of the
Church Committee gutting the intelligence agencies until this
afternoon.  Personally, I find him mildly irritating but must say
he is right on the money in this regard.  There was also a post on
this list within the last ten days on the Church Committee.  I also
heard another pundit of some sort mention it yesterday. Did not
recognize him but I know what it did.

It does not matter what the 'intention' of the committee was, the
fact is that it rendered these agencies unable to do the jobs with
which they have been charged.  The FBI is the one under the
Department of Justice and in charge of things on American soil
including embassies, etc. and has law enforcement capabilities.
The CIA does nothing but gather intelligence (in that it has no law
enforcement abilities) and operates at the behest of the President,
the Executive branch.  And why FEMA was inserted last year is
absolutely wild!

So you are contending that the Church Committee did nothing to
hinder the gathering of intelligence abroad?  Excuse me??  Do you
really think that from looking at a satellite photo, one can tell
as much as an agent on the ground?  Funding for this is at an all
time low right now and has been for the past eight years whether or
not that fits in with your idea of the scheme of things.

We all have out pet theories and ideas of who the bad guys might
be.  That is why we are conspiracy theorists.  But the basic
structure of our government is a fact as is the situation with
regard to intelligence.  I do not think blame can be placed on
anybody for this sorry state for it did not develop overnight.  It
has come about as sort of a general attitude that we all have, not
here, not us.  Now that has changed.  I, too, would have thought we
were safer than it turns out we are.  There is no co-ordination
between the various agencies, the military, etc. in this regard.
The FBI and CIA have long waged war against each other over turf
and who has authority to do what.  I think they will be forced to
be more cooperative now.  This has changed a lot of things and
priorities.
~Amelia~