From:   Alasdair Carter, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I think it would show they cared by sending a clear
message that:-
(a) They are concerned about giving the best performance
they can. The have been legislated against, thus
preventing their normal levels of practice.

(b) They are concerned about the future of the sport
and bringing on new talent.

(c) They regard sportsmanship as being key to the
games and should be allowed to compete on a level basis.

(d) They feel being forced to practice in a foreign
country (with all the extra expense involved) it is
sheer hypocrisy to be asked to represent the very
country that deemed them a menace to society.

(e) They feel that British Sporting Shooters are as
safe as sporting shooters from other countries.

I could go on, but I hope that answers your first point.

As for politicising a sporting event that has already
happened as soon as the 1997 Acts became law, and the
Government's subsequent decision that it wanted to host
the games. A smartly dressed team turning up, with each
competitor standing in a dignified silence during their
event would not appear unsportsmanlike in my opinion. It
would get many people asking what was happening and why.
The response to those questions would need careful
consideration, wording and co-ordination. Remember we are
living in a world of spin doctors and marketing. Until
we match like with like, it is like being mugged and
only fighting back whilst sticking to the Queensbury
Rules of Boxing.

I don't contend that it is a clear cut issue, but I
do feel a demo in Manchester would be largely ignored
by the world's media, whereas the results of the
competition would be reported world-wide.

A poor performance from a team actively competing to
win would give the antis the line, "Well why did you
even allow those baby killers in waiting to get their
hands on their murderous tools when they are
rubbish anyway?"

The Oath of the Office of Constable includes promising
to enforce the law without malice or favour. If the
Commonwealth Team pose no threat to the public then
people like you and I must not either. Anything else is
pure elitism.

Alasdair
--
I don't think it matters how it is reported worldwide,
it matters how it is reported here.  I seriously doubt

What I would like to see, if someone happens to know
a member of the team, is for them to take a video
camera with them by agreement with a TV company, and
film all the hassle they have to go through to fetch
their guns, their stilted training, the day of the
event, and have it turned into a documentary.

Then we'd have something we could use over and over
again, not just a flash in the pan on the day.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]