From:   "Alex Holmes", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have been reading with interest all the various comments and
suggestions about what if anything can be made from the
Commonwealth Games.

I doubt very much that non participation or shooting a protest
zero score would have any meaningful impact unless every shooter
from every country did exactly the same thing. Quite simply this
will not happen. By now we should all know that shooters are
incapable of standing together on an issue like this. apart from
anything else it would be a huge sacrifice for foreign
competitors to sacrifice years of effort in getting to this level
and on top of it they would probably be crucified by their own
sporting authorities if they went along with any such idea.

What might be attainable would be to revert to the
medal/badges/ribbon idea that has been discussed previously on
this group. I would hope that most shooters would be preapred to
wear such an emblem in sympathy with their disarmed UK friends.
Combined with a little press/media release work and a concerted
effort of letter writing it would certainly get some media
attention on the issue.

Pity somebody like Adams or McGuiness from the IRA couldn't be
arranged to present the shooting medals. That would make a nice
media piece. People previously deemed to be terrorists allowed to
carry handguns for protection whilst decent sportsmen may not
possess the tools of their sport.

Alex Holmes

JHB
South Africa
--
Well, they have official outfits don't they, they could just
put a picture of a handgun on it, with "BANNED IN BRITAIN"

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]