Hello Brians,
thanks for the suggestions. I had already installed the xorg server and all the
packages you mentioned. But nevertheless I get the errors reported in the
original email, both if I start octave from the shell or by using the XDG menu
which starts octave with the GUI.

In particular, in the second case I confirm all the opengl messages already
reported and I get the following results in the octave command line:

>> getenv('XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP')
ans = X-Cygwin
>> getenv('XDG_MENU_PREFIX')
ans = xwin-
>> getenv('XDG_RUNTIME_DIR')
ans =

From the shell all of the previous variables are of course empty. With the past
versions of octave it was plotting when run from the bash.

Thanks,
Fabio