On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Tyler Durden wrote:

> "Soma"? Despite the fact that I've read large chunks of the Rig Vedas, I
> don't remember anything called "Soma" (unless this is a Brave New World
> Reference). Of course, the Bhagavad Gita is a subsection of the
> Mahabarata....but I don't imagine this is what you are referring to...

Then you need to read the Vedas [there is only one Rig-Vega, which is the
oldest of the four Vedas] again more closely. Soma is mentioned repeatedly
throughout the Vedic hyms. Soma is both an intoxicating elixir, and the
god that represents it. Soma is sometimes thought to have been alcohol, a
mead-like substance, marijuana, psychedelic mushrooms, or other nourishing
substances. (The composition of soma is hotly debated by scholars -- I
have no firm answer myself.) Soma is said to have nourishing properties,
and even the power to instill immortality. (C.f. the eclipse myth of the
Hindu demon Rahu.)

And, as you mention, "soma" is a "prozac/valium" or MDEA-like socially
acceptable drug in Huxley's classic, as well as a brand name for the
muscle relaxant "carisoprodol" (whose effects are a great disappointment,
if one is expecting it to be anything like the Hindu or Huxley substance
of the same name.)

The original poster was, no doubt, refering to the original Soma, however.

-MW-