> Tyler Durden[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
>
> Most of the people from the British Isles over to Northern India speak a
> variant of the original Indo-European language, with Sanskrit and
> Lithuanian
> likely being the closest languages surviving. Some interesting exceptions
> (I
> believe) are the Basque in Spain, Hungarians, The (Italian) Etruscans, and
>
> (as far as I remember) the Flemish.

Basque is unique, as you say. The main other European
non-IE group is the Finno-Ugric,  comprising Finnish,
Estonian, Hungarian and a handful of other minor
languages  (I'm half Estonian by ancestry). Flemish is
firmly in the IE group, somewhere between German
and Anglo-Saxon.

See http://www.geocities.com/Athens/2282/finno.html
for more info on the Finno-Ugric languages.

(No, I don't speak Estonian)

Peter Trei