At 4:25 PM -0500 on 1/9/03, Trei, Peter wrote:

> Basque is unique, as you say

I remember someone saying somewhere, probably on PBS, that Basque is *very*
old, paleolithic, and lots of popular mythology has cropped up that it's
the closest living relative to some other ur-language, which even
Indo-European is derived from.  Jerod Diamond, of "Guns, Germs and Steel",
is excerpted here about Proto-Indo-European languages in Europe. (among
other things, like the advent of horse warfare)
http://users.cyberone.com.au/myers/diamond.html

Speaking of horse culture :-), the other thing I was reminded of, for some
reason, is the discovery of Celtic tombs in central Asia above India
somewhere, in China, I think, mummies with red hair, plaid and all, from
some time long before the Celts were eventually pushed into Europe, Celts,
meeting, the Basques, as the first people to do so.

Of course, Himmler, and other "aryan"-worshippers then and now, have spun
all this into a massive pseudogenetic fantasy, as Diamond has noted above.

Cheers,
RAH

--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>