Yes, wicca is a word with old roots.

The inventor of wicca, Gerald Gardner, had a very good idea looking up
the old english word for 'witch' when he concocted his story in the
50's. Wicca is nonsense. I've known plenty of wiccans, and guess what...
Even if every wiccan that ever existed were put together in one foul,
patchouli-smelling, sandal-wearing lump, they still wouldn't know as
much 'earth magick' as my big happy Malaysian box turtle over here.
And my turtle doesn't know any 'magick'. He told me so. He's my
familiar. pffffft.

Did witchcraft, paganism, and druids exist? Of course.
Do they have anything to do with modern wicca? Not at all.
It doesn't matter how hard people try to make their conclusion fit the
facts. It's bullshit.

Maybe Penn & Teller will do a show about wicca on 'Bullshit'...

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 10:15:46AM +0100, Steve Mynott wrote:
SM> 3. "Wicca" is a modern invention.

HS> At 5:44 AM -0800 3/31/03, Harmon Seaver wrote:
HS>   Hardly.

On Monday, March 31, 2003, Bill came up with this...

--
stuart

Anyone who tells you they want a utopia wants to put chains on the
souls of your children. They want to deny history and strangle any
unforeseen possibility. They should be resisted to the last breath.
-Bruce Sterling-