On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 10:45:55AM +0100, Ken Brown wrote:
> Harmon Seaver wrote:
>
> > You
> > don't translate names. Especially you don't change the name of the god. Read the
> > Old Testament, see how incredibly many times you find phrases like "the holy
> > name of the lord", "blessed be the name", "the wonderful name", etc.
>
> You don't even know the difference between translation and
> transliteration.

   Translate/transliterate is irrelevant -- you don't change people's names, you
especially don't change the name of the god. This was a Jewish religion, after
all, and as I mentioned before, the Old Testament is simply awash with praises
for the *name*. The whole name thing became so utterly important to the Jews
that they wouldn't even say it aloud less they mispronounce it. So if Rabbi
Yeshua was god incarnate or the son of god, it's the same thing. Changing his
name in any manner would be a grevious insult.
   For that matter, if I went to China or Russia or Africa or whereever and they
gave me a different name I'd be grossly insulted. The real reason for the name
change is quite apparant if you read the early history of the christian church
-- they were rabidly anti-semetic, and wanted to distance their new religion as
far as possible from it's jewish origins. Same with ending observance of the
Passover, the sabbath, and everything else -- things, which, BTW, Rabbi Yeshua
very clearly stated should *always* be observed according to the Jewish laws.

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix