Just to add to the discussion if we're busy justifying our existence to the
whiners...

A while back there was an active discussion of open source hardware and
'openfabs' (I took part in that too).
But more recently (although not quite meeting the openfab ideal) a cool little
piece of open source hardware appeared based on the RISC V instruction set...

https://www.sifive.com/

Feel free to discuss, whiners are invited too :P

Cheers,
oshwm.