At 04:12 PM 6/14/00 -0400, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>What makes anyone think Sealand is outside of the UK's jurisdiction after
>the government in the 1980s extended their territorial limits to 10 miles?
>Sealand is 6-7 miles offshore.
>
>-Declan

The 3 mile limit came from the range of the Guns at the time.
Problem is, our guns now reach around the world.

Where does the 12-mile limit come from?  (Probably, from
the credo of govts these days: "whatever we can grab", with
more than 12 miles causing too many conflicts if generally applied)

Sealand seemed to take the generally-followed position when land is too
close: split the difference.

What do marine charts say?  Does it vary according to publisher?
(e.g., do the french give Sealand full due, just to piss off the Anglos?)