On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Tim May wrote:

> The "2-4 year payback cycle" in the electronics industry, from roughly
> 1955 to the present, was terribly important. Each generation of
> technology paid for the next generation, and costly mistakes resulted
> in companies ceasing to exist (Shockley Transistor, Rheem, Precision
> Monolithics, and so on...the list is long).
>
> Successful products led to the "genes" (or memes) propagating.
> Phenotypes and genotypes.
>
> This same model gave us, basically, the commercial automobile and
> aviation industries.

I agree completely with what you're saying, and I'm not sure that Eugene
would agree with what I'm writing here.

One of the problems I think is rampant with, for instance, getting
alternate fuel sources off the ground is that government subsidies are
ensuring they don't happen by distorting the market for fossil fuels.

Ethically, the entire situation is absurd. Realistically, if someone
actually wants to try to build say, a hydrogen powered car, government
interference in your business is a fact of life, and looking for angles
to Make It Work are the only way to attempt to compete. There are a
metric assload of good ideas that have been killed by government
interference in markets.

I know this is part of what you were saying. This is important to call
out.

-j

--
Jamie Lawrence                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I Can't Believe It's A Law Firm, LLP does not necessarily