On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:24:13AM -0800, James A. Donald wrote:
>     --
> On 30 Jan 2003 at 12:16, Harmon Seaver wrote:
> > I'll have to find the studies, but it was the same oil
> > geologists (not enviros) who used the same model to
> > accurately predict the peak of US oil production who did the
> > one on world oil production.
>
> Not true.
>
> Rather, what happened is that there have been thousands of
> overly pessimistic estimates, and one overly optimistic
> estimate for US oil production  (an over reaction to past low
> side errors) , and everyone who makes implausibly pessimistic
> estimates for world oil production likes to associate
> themselves with those who disagreed with the one overly
> optimistic estimate -- but the association is thin.

   These geologists very accurately predicted the peaking of oil production in
the US,  and oil production has peaked in over 50 countries already.
http://www.hubbertpeak.com/
http://www.hubbertpeak.com/laherrere/uppsalaJHL.pdf

   Hubbert was a Shell geologist, working for Shell. Shell has put out a number
of reports acknowledging the upcoming peak and decline in world oil production,
as, I believe, has British Petroleum. Check Shell's website, they are doing a
lot of research into alternative energy and making a lot of investments in that
area, including synfuels and biofuels.

http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/15883/story.htm

--
Harmon Seaver