On Thursday 30 January 2003 03:25 am, Bill Stewart wrote:

> Remember the Synfuel boondoggles under Jimmy Carter?
> Cracking otherwise-uneconomical oil shale might have been
> a useful technology if the price of oil were $50-100/barrel.
> (Meanwhile, we can feel nice and liberal about leaving all this
> wonderful supply of irreplaceable industrial hydrocarbons for future
> generations.)

I remember when on the way to a river-rafting trip with my Dad, We stopped in
some little town in nowhere Wyoming to eat.

Across the road was a HUGE apartment complex built in the late 70's to house
workers for a shale oil extraction facility. Of course they were abandoned.

The towns folk were still paying off the bonds they floated to pay for the
streets and sewers that they built to support the "hoardes" of workers that
were supposed to move in.

--
Neil Johnson, N0SFH
http://www.iowatelecom.net/~njohnsn