Thanks for your comment.  It’s an important concern that you have raised.

In your scenario below, you write “if I publish a S/MIME certificate…”

Can you tell me how you would publish that S/MIME certificate, how people would
find it, and why it would be believed?

The reason they'd belive it is that it's signed by a credible CA. That's just PKI.

As far as how people would find it, there's a bunch of possibilities. The federal government has a public federated LDAP system that apparently works pretty well for people to find certs of government employees. Brian Haberman and I have a draft at draft-bhjl-x509-srv-02, and even this hack could do it (give or take the naming and scaling problems) if it published regular signed certificates rather than asserting that DNSSEC makes them trustworthy.

If your domain holder is the kind of domain holder that would engage in an easy-detectable MITM attack such as you describe below, then why are you using them as your email provider?

Maybe you've had the same address for 20 years and don't want to change it. Maybe your provider is someone like gmail who is mostly trustworthy but you don't know what secret subpoenas they've gotten so you're not going to use a cert they provide.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY