Hi,
I got the same kind of issue (manjaro gnome, roboto font used) :

To get something satisfying without enlarging the panels I just
generalized "condensed fonts"  (css file, line 211)

Note : to tweak the css copy  the darktable.css  with a customized name
to your  .config/darkable/themes directory You can then choose which
css file to use through dt settings.

I guess that in the near future we will be able to choose from several
themes