I had 3.19; modifying my mirror-list showed that my selected mirror was out of date (2nd time this has happened recently; there seems to be a problem with arch mirrors in Canada). An update has installed 3.22 and a minor upgrade to Darktable and now indeed the dialog works. Given the prevalence of this bug (see responses to my post, see bug report) however it might be a good idea to make the workaroung more widely known. Thank you!

Normand