On lundi 27 février 2017 00:00:18 CET Michael wrote:
> what I mean is when I open a new image up in dt five modules are activated
> automatically:
> 0- original image
> 1- orientation (which doesn't appear to do anything)
This uses metadata to decide if the image needs to be rotated (over +/- 90°),
needed for
portrait oriented images.
> 2- sharpen (improves slightly)
You usually want this, the way most cameras are constructed, and the
demosaicing, lead to
some blur, which this module counteracts (but cannot correct).
> 3- basecurve (that blurs details)
This module works per pixel, so doesn't influence neighbouring pixels (i.e.
isn't be able to blur
details). Inactivating this module should get you a very dark image lacking
contrast.
> 4- color balance (blurs even more)
Strange, I never see that one automatically applied, but it also shouldn't blur
the image (works
on individual pixels only)
> 5- white balance (changes the colors of things)
That's its function: it corrects for the difference in the colour of the actual
light and theoretical
white light. You'll want it, without it you should get a very green image
> I want to eliminate modules 3, 4, and 5 and to understand what module 1 is
> doing.

Unless you have a small sensor in your camera (like 2-4 Mpixel), the image on
your screen is
reduced in size. DT needs some time to apply the pipeline when you open an
image, or edit
something. This can give you temporarily a less sharp image. How long that
lasts, depends on
your computer.

And except for the sharpen module, none of the modules you list can lead to
blurring of the
image, as they all work on individual pixels, and not on groups of pixels.

But, if you insist, they can all be turned off (except 0), by clicking on the
power button at the left
of the module name (in the right sidebar in the darkroom). I'm pretty sure you
won't like the
result, though.

Are you by any chance new to darktable and raw development? In that case,
reading the
Darktable manual (which explains what the modules do and why they are in a
certain order)
might be a good start. Also, a site like http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/ (and
several others)
has good articles on most aspects of (digital) photography, including editing
and post-
processing.