This is the expected effect of basecurve with an image that is close
to saturation. All or almost all base curves increase image contrast
and thus lift the highlights; if the unaltered highlights are close to
clipping, the base curve will push them over into it.

 My approach to dealing with this (in older darktable versions) varies
from case to case. Sometimes the highlights & shadows module will bring
things back, sometimes selectively or generally reducing exposure will,
and sometimes I need to turn off or alter the base curve module and then
recover (some of) the contrast it normally adds with other mechanisms.

 I believe that the current version of darktable also adds an exposure
fusion mode that may help to recover highlights here.

(There are situations where white balance can also push highlights into
clipping in some colour channels, but these are harder to deal with
since an image with white balance color channel multipliers of 1.0 / 1.0
/ 1.0 is extremely off.)

 By the way, all bets are off for areas that are clipped in the RAW in
one or more colour channels. Those have irretrievably lost some detail
(or all detail if all channels have clipped) and any detail or colour
has to be reconstructed using heuristics.

        - cks