Am 24.06.2017 um 19:48 schrieb Mark Heieis:
So in conclusion, pick the HW you are comfortable with, which flavour of linux you want, and what it requires to provide the functionality you want, and go from there, knowing that if chosen correctly, you can get the functionality desired. Because at the end of the day, the history doesn't matter to me as I need to work, which requires OpenCL. If a better solution avails itself in the future, I will pursue that but until then I have a working system and that's what I'm sharing. Isn't that what it's all about?

If you are lucky that your HW is supported than this is certainly a way to go.

But the AMD story is not complete without mentioning that they have dropped support for several mid-aged GPUs. In my case it's the HD7950 (= R9/280 = Tahiti) which I had bought primarily to be able to have an eye on both major platforms. I used a dual GPU system with the Tahiti plus an old NVIDIA GTS450.

The Tahiti is gone now and my investments are lost. Others have reported about similar issues with AMD/ATI drivers in the past. So dropping support does not seem to be an exceptional case on AMD's side.

I am now back to NVIDIA with a Geforce 1060 and for me it means I will not care any longer about AMD compatibility - just because I am factually not able to do so. And I certainly have no intentions to invest into AMD again.

Ulrich