On lundi 7 août 2017 08:40:01 CEST David Vincent-Jones wrote:
> Yes, I have a nvidia card. (Quadro K1000M)
>
> I installed and ran clinfo but the dt core options still shows opencl
> not available.
>
> searched for nvidia-modprobe and it is not found.
>
> I used the fairly simple opensuse install procedure (which worked well
> on the previous release) and to make sure I ran the process again
> including a reboot.
>
> Any idea where I should go from here?
>
> David
>
> On 08/06/2017 09:47 PM, Ulrich Pegelow wrote:
> > Am 07.08.2017 um 04:03 schrieb David Vincent-Jones:
> >> I have just moved my openSUSE version from 42.2 to 42.3 and now dt does
> >> not appear to recognize the installed openCL.
> >>
> >> [opencl_init] could not find opencl runtime library 'libOpenCL'
> >> [opencl_init] could not find opencl runtime library 'libOpenCL.so'
> >> [opencl_init] found opencl runtime library 'libOpenCL.so.1'
> >> [opencl_init] opencl library 'libOpenCL.so.1' found on your system and
> >> loaded
> >
> > This tells us that at libOpenCL.so.1 is present on your system and
> > darktable has been able to load it.
> >
> >> [opencl_init] could not get platforms: -1001
> >
> > That tells us that libOpenCL.so.1 failed when checking for available GPUs.
> >
> > I assume you have some NVIDIA card.
> >
> > Please try the following. As root call program clinfo (should be
> > supplied by package clinfo-2.0.15.03.24-2.3.x86_64 or the like). Then
> > start darktable again as a normal user. If darktable now works with
> > OpenCl this is an indication of a permission issue on your system.
> >
> > NVIDIA relies on a program /usr/bin/nvidia-modprobe that needs to be set
> > SUID root. I found that frequently distributions remove the SUID bit for
> > security reasons. It's up to you if you set it manually (chmod +s
> > /usr/bin/nvidia-modprobe).

Also, you need the closed-source drivers from NVidia, and those are not
available throught the standard repositories. Even if you added the NVidia
repositories, they get disabled on update to a new version. That means you'll
have to add those repos again (for the new OS version)...

As the default nouveau driver works for the system, this only becomes evident
when you use a program that requires the closed-source drivers (CUDA, or
OpenCL typically need the closed-source drivers, as well as programs that use
more advanced openGL functions, or insist on hardware support for openGL)

Remco