I've seen similar results to Chris. One of the (few) things that I've found Lightroom does better than darktable is highlight recovery.

I have noticed that the darktable histogram doesn't seem to show content at the far right hand side that does show in the Lightroom histogram. Don't know if this is relevant.

I hesitate to mention this, since I'm very conscious of the fact that darktable is entirely created by people working on their own time. It seems ungrateful to pick out one thing that isn't perhaps as good as with other paid programs.

Peter