Can you provide the original DNG so people can play with it?

One think you should take into account is that modules in Darktable are
applied in a certain order (bottom to top on darkroom). In particular,
"Exposure" and "Base Curve" come before "Shadows and highlights". So, if
Exposure pushes the info of the sky past the white point, you can not get
it back later (at least that's how I understand it). Going by the
histogram, it looks like this is what happening to your picture (there are
a lot of pixels close to the right edge): the info was there before the
exposure (and base curve) modules, but not by time you get to the shadows
and highlights module.

Two tips I can give you:
- check the RAW over-exposure indicator (small colors icon below and to the
right of the picture in darkroom). If the area is really non-recoverable it
will show as over exposed in RAW. If not, there is a way to recover it (not
always easy, but the info is there)
- my first step when editing complex pictures is to use the exposure and
black sliders on the Exposure module to fit the data exactly inside the
histogram (using the normal under/over exposure indicator). Then I know I'm
working with almost all the info the file have.

Best regards,
Guillermo