Hi,
if your disks are connected via USB please follow the instructions Vietor
gives you.
It is very simple.
Please note IMPORT does not means you will import your images into
darktable: images (files) will remain on board your disk, darktable will
only catch the necessary information in order to let you develop your files.

Thank you,
Maurizio