As a Linux-centric application, Darktable sees only one drive *as* a drive
-- all other drives are represented as folders.

After you have opened the import dialog, in the left-hand bar above "Other
Locations" there should be a folder icon with just a slash next to it. If
you click that, you should see a list of folders including one named
'Volumes'. Open that and you should see your external drives.

--
August Schwerdfeger
aug...@schwerdfeger.name