Thanks Remco.

That's usefull to know about Highlight Reconstruction being always on, and fits with what I'm seeing.

I'm still at early stages of learning how to use DT so will definitely explore your comment about using "reconstruct in LCh" - I take a lot of landscapes.

The custom style I created by profling the camera using darktable-chart with Xrite ColorChecker target and camera jpeg, automatically disables the standard DT basecurve and applies a tonecurve and color lookup table. I had hoped it would give sufficiently reliable results, but it may indeed be clipping too soon like the Sony basecurve
as you indicate - where do I look in DT to find out the point it is clipping at?

Cheers