On jeudi 14 février 2019 17:25:57 CET Dusenberg wrote:
> Thanks Remco.
>
> That's usefull to know about Highlight Reconstruction being always on, and
> fits with what I'm seeing.
>
> I'm still at early stages of learning how to use DT so will definitely
> explore your comment about using "reconstruct in LCh" - I take a lot of
> landscapes.
>
> The custom style I created by profling the camera using darktable-chart with
> Xrite ColorChecker target and camera jpeg, automatically disables the
> standard DT basecurve and applies a tonecurve and color lookup table. I had
> hoped it would give sufficiently reliable results, but it may indeed be
> clipping too soon like the Sony basecurve as you indicate - where do I look
> in DT to find out the point it is clipping at?

The simplest woud be, I think, to disable your tone curve and see what happens
to the histogram. Not quantitative, but it gives you a good idea.

As you don't mention the camera you use, not much more to say. But you can
always look through the basecurves provided with DT to get an idea how the one
for your camera looks. Afaik, those curves are aimed to approach the camera
jpeg as close as possible (ignoring the dynamic range compression tricks some
brands provide). They are all more or less S-shaped, but differ quite a bit in
final brightness and contrast.

Remco