And the resolution for my Linux machine has been found.  I found an article, "How to Mount an exFAT Drive on Ubuntu Linux" on https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-mount-an-exfat-drive-on-ubuntu/. Darned if it didn't work.  darktable still will now read the files when my camera is attached to the Linux computer. HOORAY!!!  I still can't tether to the camera, but that's another issue in that the G9 is not supported for tethering yet.

Willy

--

 "You don't take a picture.  You ask quietly and humbly to borrow it."

 - Unknown