No responses to my question, so I'll give this a little bump, if that's OK.

On Fri, 2020-06-19 at 09:52 +1000, Terry Duell wrote:
> Hello All,
> I've recently noticed that when I select an image file and choose 'Open with
> darktable', darktable doesn't open on screen as it does if I choose darktable
> from the apps menu, instead it is added to the lower icon bar and does not
> respond.

darktable used to respond OK when selecting 'open with darktable', but I can't
point to how long ago that was.
I also note a post to Pentaxforums, in 2016 I think, which noted the
following...

"BTW, you can open single files in darktable by right clicking an image file and
using the "open with" dialog."

Is this a local problem that I've got with my system, or can others report
similar behaviour?

I am running release-3.1.0-2310-g890bf49f0 on Fedora 32.

Cheers,
--
Terry Duell <tdu...@iinet.net.au>