Hi All,
I have the same/similar problem with Windows 10 / Darktable 3.0.2. I
noticed it about two weeks ago on my work computer.

Copy my RAW files from Canon gx7 to computer, import using Darktable folder
function. Some files will open then I will get a few in the batch that will
not open - get failure message in DT interface. Failure to load into
darkroom module happens if:

   - progressing from a previous image in the filmstrip
   - double clicking on a filmstrip image
   - selecting the image from lightable module

The images from this camera have worked faultlessly with DT for the last
several versions over three years approx.

If I close DT and reopen the program, the same image that previously failed
to open, may fail to open again, but sometimes if I go from lighttable to
darkroom and back the image may open. Though the failure itself seems
intermittent, the image that  will fault within a given batch will be the
same one to fail each time.

I hope this is helpful.
Alex