* tony Hamilton <shaky.st...@ntlworld.com> [11-30-20 20:08]:
> Really confused; what is this? Where is this text window? In Libre-Office?
> Or another text editor? Which one? I am looking for a text window which
> contains this text or do I enter this text? What does 'not darktable-cli do?
> syntactically incorrect: what entity is 'less than 'path' ? is 'path' both
> greater than and less than 'to' at the same time? In data terms, what are
> the values of these variables? Where do I find them ?). if I enter this
> text, does it need to be saved in a specific format or a specific location?
> Will some other application process this text ? If so, which one? How does
> it relate to darktable ?
>
> On 30/11/2020 01:18, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * tony Hamilton <shaky.st...@ntlworld.com> [11-29-20 20:15]:
> > > Not sure that I fully understand 'run from the command-line' to import a
> > > file or a folder, but when I pass the address of a previously unseen
> > > folder
> > > to darktable using CLI it opens that folder with no problem, giving me
> > > darkroom access to all the included images. I don't see any errors, but it
> > > should be noted that I wouldn't know where to look for them if there were
> > > any. I cannot tell if I am using OpenCL or not. A comprehensive search on
> > > the internet returns NO 'hits' which discuss OpenCL on Linux Mint 20, so I
> > > have no information on how to tell if OpenCL is installed, or being used.
> > > am using Linux Mint 20 driving an nVidia GTX 645 OEM card, using driver
> > > nvidia-driver-455 version 455.38-0ubuntu0-20.04.1.

> > in a text window:
> > not darktable-cli

so you really need to know a little about your operating system.  do you
expect to operate your camera with that little knowledge of it?  how would
you turn it on.

a text window is exactly that since you must be using a desktop graphical
environment or would not be able to run darktable.

darktable-cli is a program but is not the same as darktable
"-d opencl" are parameters which you want the program, darktable, to use
when it is operating.
"<" is a less-than symbol, but it is also used to indicate a substitute
word where one would be expected to place a different work, ie:
  /home/<your.user.name>/xxx

and these are as basic to your operating system as setting the aperture on
your camera, or using a key to start the engine on your automobile.

we will undoubtedly be unable to assist you until you are able to
communicate with us in terms we both understand.  if you ask specific
questions which can be answered in some other manner, please try.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo               paka @ IRCnet freenode