* tony Hamilton <shaky.st...@ntlworld.com> [11-30-20 20:14]:
> Ah, OK, thanks for the clarification. In another test  I have invoked
> darktable from the command line using the application name only with no
> options or parameters. I then asked dt to import a newly created folder of
> images which I have just copied from a network drive. Import completed
> without freezing but on examining the command line window I see a number of
> messages/warnings. The first is:
>
> "(darktable:5370): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:31:21.049: Attempting to add a widget
> with type GtkBox to a container of type GtkStack, but the widget is already
> inside a container of type GtkStack, please remove the widget from its
> existing container first."
>
> I have no idea what all this means. This message is then followed by
> multiple instances of "sh: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected" - one message
> for each image that was imported. Again, I have no idea of what tis message
> means.

we cannot see the lines which you refer, please type them here and we will
try to explain.

> Now, about hardware: I use this same model of nVidia card on an old computer
> with an early i5 processor, running Win 10. OpenCL is active and darktable
> edits work there just fine - obviously not quick, but not unusable. Freezing
> during import does not occur in this windows installation.
>
> This linux machine I am running darktable on is an 11 year old computer,
> originally with an i5 dual core CPU, which I have updated to a 2009 vintage
> Lynnfield i7 860 (the most I can install on this motherboard). Until
> recently it was a dual boot machine, with Win 10. Under Windows it ran
> high-CPU-demand apps like RawTherapee, Capture One, Photoshop, LightRoom
> surprisingly quickly. Running typical home/office apps under Mint 20 is as
> fast as anything I have used before and is comparable to my newest windows
> machine, with a 9th generation i7, multiple SSDs and 32 GB RAM.
>
> In short, I don't think I have a serious performance issue.
>
> I do run with Psensors active all the time (to be sure I am not going to
> melt that old i7); none of the cores get anywhere near T.Junc. limit. I also
> have plenty of RAM for linux (16 GB). Running top does not show any
> significant problems: total memory demand is running at about  8 to 11 GB;
> swap is never used. CPU is running surprisingly low.
>
> While writing this message I have tried starting the GUI version of
> darktable and then importing newly copied folders. During the past 24 hours
> I have made the lucky guess (a miracle really) at why OpenCL was not
> available ( file /etc/OpenCL/vendors/nvidia.icd  defined an nvidia driver
> which I was not using - now corrected). One of those import attempts ran
> without issue; the other failed with freezing as before. htop did not show
> any striking anomalies.
>
> In short, I still do not understand why darktable GUI is freezing.

perhaps you should provide us the address of the directory you are trying
to import, the full path name.

and provide a sample image for use to try to import.
and do not include it in your email, but place it on a file sharing
service or a web server where you have access.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo               paka @ IRCnet freenode