Relaying message from Brian.

From: Brian Hancock [mailto:br...@brileigh.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2016 12:08 PM
To: 'Ed Marfil, MAST UNITED' <edmar...@mastunited.com>
Cc: 'Bruce Conrad' <br...@vcpnews.com>
Subject: RE: [Dataperf] mastering DP book from R. Alvy

Hi Ed,

Thanks for copying me on the email. I wish I knew why I can’t get emails from
the UG.

The family is all doing well, Robert (the child Marina was pregnant with when
we first met at your house) turned 5 last week, and on the same day his little
brother David turned 2. Robert starts school next year (Australian academic
years run February to December). We moved houses last year to a much bigger
house in a good location for us but with lots of maintenance issues so our past
18 months has been spent fixing it up.

I have semi-retired, I have a couple of customers, albeit none using DP, but I
still yearn for the DataPerfect days.  The software I used at the sporting club
is no longer in use. I was trying to turn it into a commercial product, but no
one wanted to pay for it, and then MySpace, Facebook etc came along making team
communication free, and then free shared calendaring from Google and shared
document, so other than for a couple of pilot projects my DP project never took
off.

The website for the sports club I wrote in 2006 is still up and running with DP
as the backend database, it only got used until 2010.  The part that interacts
with DataPerfect is written in Flash, so it will not work with Apple, and
possibly not on some other browsers that have dumped Flash. To try it out go to
 http://www.brileigh.net/bws/  select Player InfoCentre. This should pop up a
Flash window, login with i: B5454 and pw: brian   Everything is DP powered.
Just browse around, change any field and test it out (preferably don’t change
the password) . If you change the email to your own and then send a message to
the team then you will get that message in your email. In the 5 years it was
running it served hundreds of thousands of operations. Without one single
issue, I think at its peak I once had 40 simultaneous instances of DP running,
and since an instance of DP only runs for the length of time for a single
report is running, I think it equated to about 100+ simultaneous users.

The site uses Flash at its front end. The site is hosted on a commercial Linux
based server.  It sends standard HTTP Post operations to various PERL scripts,
which create synthetic transaction logs, and then starts up an instance of DP
with the required command line parameters. DP runs the required report with the
user data and replies with an XML data file. The XML data is returned to the
Flash front end.  For the HTML version which I was writing, I used the same
process to send data and invoke DP, and the same reports from DP, and I used an
XSLT processor at the server end to generate HTML pages for the client. For
some things I was doing with that site I was directly generating HTML pages. I
was also experimenting with various templating arrangements, to make it easier,
much like say a WordPress site would do.

I created a tutorial for using web enabling DP
http://www.brileigh.net/dpweb/tutorial/  It is a little old, 2009, but the
general techniques would be the same.

Perhaps you could pass this on to Geert or even the group. I would be really
pleased if someone found some utility from the work I did.  By the way, I tried
Firestorm, but I found it too onerous, from memory every time you changed
anything in a panel you had to modify and recompile the Firestorm C programs.
In the web enabling changes that Lew created after the Huntington Beach DP
Conference in 2005, everything was executed using DP Reports, so you could
freely change the Panels, and as long as the changes weren’t the type that
would break standard DP reports everything ran the same way.

I hope your family is well, the boys must be nearly all grown up by now.  Give
my regards to everyone in the Group.  I might try again to reenrol in the group
with a different email address, although that is always a pain changing the
Sender details.

All the best

Bye

Brian