Andy Ngo wrote:
Hi,

This is more of a Linux question than anything.  Hopefully someone can help me.  Our custom board has the Davinci exchanging data with a Xilinx Virtex 5 Pro FPGA Microblaze processor via a shared (Dual-Port) RAM interface.  The shared RAM is 128Kb and is hooked us to CS4 on the AEMIF.  In order to access this shared RAM memory space (physical address is 0x06000000), our application is using mmap to map it to a virtual address space.  Here's a snippet of the mmap initialization:

int fd;
unsigned char *shareRamPtr;

fd = open("/dev/mem", O_RDWR);
sharedRamPtr = (unsigned char *)mmap(0, 0x20000 /* 128 Kb */, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE,
                MAP_SHARED, fd, 0x06000000);

It seems to work but not quite.  We have a interrupt processing handler that needs access (writes as well as reads) this space in real-time every 2ms.  Sometimes, when the FPGA Microblaze write values to the shared RAM, and when our ARM processor on the Davinci reads them during the interrupt processing, the data looks staled (as though from previous reads).  I googled and found that writes require a call to msync to flush writes to the actual shared RAM interface.  So here are my questions:

1) If I need the writes to be real-time (immediately flushed out to the shared RAM), do I have to call msync every single time I do a write?  If this is the case, isn't this very inefficient? Does msync have to check the whole 0x20000 range to check what bytes need to be flushed?
2) How about for reads?  As mentioned above, I seem to get stale data sometimes during reads.  Since the Microblaze is constantly writing to shared RAM, what needs to be done so that when the ARM reads the data at those locations, they are what the Microblaze wrote?
3) I tried using MAP_PRIVATE and it doesn't seem to map to the shared RAM space at all (mmap doesn't return an error but I can't write or read from it).  Is there anyway to force the mechanism behind mmap (driver for /dev/mem ?) to force a flush everytime the ARM writes to shared RAM without having to call msync?

Please advise.  Thanks.

Regards,
Andy


_______________________________________________ Davinci-linux-open-source mailing list [email protected] http://linux.davincidsp.com/mailman/listinfo/davinci-linux-open-source
The FPGA is writing directly to shared RAM. There should be no cache issues from the perspective of the FPGA.

The issue would seem to be concerning the ARM only. I thought the declaration of a variable as "volatile" would force the value to always be read directly from RAM, never cache. I'm not clear whether declaring a variable "volatile" forces the write to RAM, but that case doesn't seem to be an issue here.

I would believe that just declaring those data structures as "volatile" should resolve your cache issues of reading "stale" data.

Bob




_______________________________________________
Davinci-linux-open-source mailing list
[email protected]
http://linux.davincidsp.com/mailman/listinfo/davinci-linux-open-source

Reply via email to