> Buildroot is good at building all together, but not good at cleaning.
> Since your console is working and even init=/bin/sh is not working I
> suspected EABI/OABI stuff. Moreover, I read some warnings
> some time ago
> on the buildroot mailing list about this issue.

Caglar -

You were correct.  After getting a brand new copy of buildroot and
configuring it for OABI, /sbin/getty now runs.  Unfortunately it hasn't
gotten me much further because a shell still won't run.  Once I log in,
a shell never starts and getty just respawns.  Using init=/bin/sh or
init=/bin/ash just hangs like it did before with no output.  I compiled
a hello world program with the uclibc toolchain, and using that for init
works just fine.  So there's something about the busybox shell that
isn't working right.

In any case, I got a little further.  Thanks for the help.

Brian