On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 10:26:49AM -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Oct 28, 2009, at 2:59 AM, Tim Bunce wrote:
>
>> Here's a deal: you write some tests for ChildCallbacks in
>> t/70callbacks.t and I'll implement them.
>
> Deal.

Great. Thanks.

>>> Oh, nice. Does that mean you'll have more time for the DBI?
>>
>> That's the hope.
>
> W00t.

I need to devote time to java2perl6 and other perl6-database-interface
related activities.

>> I'm probably being over-cautious. Most drivers use fetch() or
>> fetchrow_arrayref() as the lowest-level calling method used by the other
>> fetch* ad select* methods. So applying the same callback to both would
>> work find in most cases.
>
> If I'm applying a callback to the "fetch" method, I expect it to execute
> when I actually call the fetch method on the STH to which I applied it.
> Reasonable, no? Is there some reason that wouldn't happen? If so, I'd call
> it a bug in the driver, frankly.

If you're applying a callback to the "fetch" method and then your code
calls fetchrow_hashref, for example, how do you know if the driver's
fetchrow_hashref() method calls fetch() or fetchrow_arrayref()?

The fetch and fetchrow_arrayref method are typically aliased by the
driver, but they're two separate methods from the DBI dispatcher's point
of view.

Applying the same callback to both is a reasonable approach.