Hello Bruno,

Apologies for the delayed response.

On Tuesday, November 1, 2016 at 6:06:16 PM UTC+5:30, Bruno Turcksin wrote:

> Have you tried to increase the number of Newton iterations? The Newton
> solver is pretty basic (it doesn't do any line search) so it might be
> the reason it doesn't work. If you send me a short program that
> reproduces the problem, I can try to make it work. However, I am
> pretty busy in November, so it may take a month or so before I can
> work on it.

Looking at the error message I get, the non convergence is probably not due
to the Newton iterations. I am using an iterative solver(Iterative Inverse
class of dealii) for computing the ((M-tau*J)^-1)*M*y term (the term dealii
probably requires for Newton iterations). This is in contrast to step-52
(which uses UMFPACK) and the non convergence is in this iterative solution
step. In fact, the solution converges(and matches with an equivalent ODE45
implementation) for many time steps and no convergence occurs when a steep
temporal change in the solution(characteristic of the stiff system) is
encountered. Any advice on how to make it converge?

Sincere thanks for your offer to help, but being a beginner, I would like
to learn it myself rather than outsource my problem.

A very popular package for ODE solving is sundials
> http://computation.llnl.gov/projects/sundials. That's what I would
> use.

As I had some previous exposure to the GSL ODE solver, I tried implementing
that but sadly ran into another problem. The GSL solver requires a
vectorization of the Jacobian of the RHS of the ODE system. The Jacobian in
our case, if I am not wrong, will be (M^-1)*(df/du), the product of a
matrix inverse and a matrix which I am unsure how to calculate. Any advice
here will also be appreciated.

Thank you for all the help so far!

Regards,
Vaibhav