Weixiong,

By instruction, it's actually more for the testing. Maybe I will just follow how the other functions are tested.

Yes -- my took of choice is generally to do
  grep -r merge_triangulations tests/*/*cc
to find out which tests use a given function (here, merge_triangulations()). I then typically clone such a test and modify it to use the function I'm currently writing.

By the way, I am at UC Berkeley leading an open source group project based on deal.II on GitHub called "Bay-Area Radiation Transport (BART)" with MIT license for research/mentoring purpose. The link is where the repo is "https://github.com/SlaybaughLab/BART";. You may add it to where you tell which
projects are using deal.II if you want.

Excellent -- I've done this now!

Thanks