Hi,

Il 22/05/20 15:19, Jana Pirat ha scritto:
> In my opinion we should use all possibilities to live and be free as
> much it is possible and given to us.
> stay optimistic.
> freedom not fear :-)

Freedom is a right, but has to be used responsibly. The virus is still
out there, people are still going to the hospital and to the cemetery
because of it. We still lack proper treatments and vaccines, and as far
as I know there are no strong results on acquired immunity yet. So, as
soon as we resume exposing people to each other as before, numbers will
start to grow again. A few places already had to reinstate confinement
rules after removing them, because they realized that the spread was
restarting as before.

I believe that it is good to allow some mobility, so that people can at
least meet their families and close friends. It is a risk, but one that
in some sense we need to take, in order to avoid other worse
psychological damages. But meetings should remain as small as possible,
and as geographically confined as possible. Organizing conferences with
hundreds of people coming from all over the world is, in my opinion,
irresponsible: you give the virus the best conditions to spread as much
as possible, stirring different strains and defeating the acquired
immunity different world regions might develop. Totally a bad idea, if
you ask me, even if legally possible.

I am sorry for the organizing team, who for sure has poured a lot of
energy and dedication into DebConf20. They deserve all our gratitude and
they have all mine. I know it is disappointing to see their efforts
wasted, but in the current situation I don't think it is responsible to
physically meet from all over the world. It's not just about the risk
each individual attendee would accept to take: it's the risk our whole
communities take (particularly the vulnerable ones, from the health
viewpoint) when individuals allow the virus to spread.

I hope that Debian does not organize any non-local physical meeting this
year, although I am sad this has to happen.

Giovanni.
--
Giovanni Mascellani <g.mascell...@gmail.com>
Postdoc researcher - Université Libre de Bruxelles