On 12/19/2015 01:09 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> On 18/12/15 14:48, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
>>
>> Given the general "DebConf Team" situation, I would really like us to
>> focus on using the existing structures for what they got built, rather
>> than having meta-discussions, which will only delay the DC17 decision. I
>> don't see value in postponing the DC17 decision until after the DebConf
>> governance tensions have been relaxed.

Yes, I agree, focusing on the practicalities and keeping things running
is the best way through this. Where we have existing structure, let's
keep using it. Where we don't, fill in as needed.

> I feel there is a real danger that if this is done without the new
> chairs, then some people may not volunteer to participate as a chair at
> all, feeling that a significant decision has already been made without
> them and now they are just being roped in to implement it.

Hmmm... anyone petty enough to turn up their nose because we ran ahead
with practical decisions when the sky fell down, really isn't someone I
want as chair anyway.

> Freezing the decision process may also be a practical way of emphasizing
> to the wider community that DebConf would welcome more contributions.

Our blocker right now isn't really the wider Debian community, so this
isn't putting pressure on the right point. The best approach may be to
say that the DPL is acting DebConf chair until he puts a new delegation
in place. That both gives us an established authority figure to slot in
place for immediate needs, and also encourages him to hurry up on
forming the delegation, so he doesn't have to spend the time on
day-to-day DebConf management.

Allison