martin f krafft dijo [Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 10:48:26AM +1300]:
> also sprach Tiago Bortoletto Vaz <ti...@debian.org> [2016-01-27 03:56 +1300]:
> > > I was trying to not diverge too much away from the process. But
> > > if there's no strong objection to skipping directly to the Bid
> > > Decision Meeting, that works for me too!
> >
> > As far as I can remember this was a tragic experience.
>
> It was made tragic by some, yes. It came quite as a surprise to most
> that we even had to have a second meeting in the last two years.

I stick with the "popular" choice here, I think having an extra
meeting is not too hard a burden on any of us.

> > If a meeting before the decision meeting has no many points to
> > discuss, then it will be quick and no precious time from committee
> > will be spent.
>
> If we have the necessary discipline to do this, then sure, having
> a point of synchronisation is never wrong. Still, questions and team
> introductions should probably still happen on the mailing list
> before the meeting, don't you think?
>
> And it should go without saying that all committee members are
> familiar with the bids and the mailing list discussions by the time
> the meeting commences.

YES YES YES.

Here I completely agree with you. We as committee should get engaged
with the bidding teams, and the teams should also be familiar with
each other's offer's main points.

> Let's try not to enslave us to protocols too much. Several times in
> the past and especially in the last two years, a bid decision could
> have been made during (or even before) the status meeting, but we
> shunned it for the sake of sticking to "the procedure". Of course
> it's important to be fair to all teams, but let's not ignore the
> signs and rule out the possibility to fast-track the decision when
> it's quite clear that not much will change in the two weeks between
> meetings.

...Or at least, make sure the bidders do know about this, that it's
not a surprise for them.

> An earlier decision and one less meeting puts the winning team on
> track faster, and wastes less time of the committee and the other
> teams, who should be encouraged to try again next year. Sometimes it
> might even make sense to cast a decision for the next two years!

A two week slip in the decision to start planning for something to be
organized in a ~18month time... should be hurt-less!