On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 14:03 +0200, Daniel Tryba wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 11:34:21PM -0700, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> > ** One thing that comes to mind is that I have no patch audio wires from
> > the player to the MB at this point.  Could this make a big difference in
> > what the player has to do to get things to work?
>
> This would/should make no difference. The last time I had that cable
> attached was on a SB Pro.
>
> Sounds like you have a bad dvd drive (or badly configured IDE (e.g. no DMA)).

The results are the same whether on my reader/burner or my read-only
drive.  Perhaps the DMA part (though dma is apparently configured)?

hpotter:/home/daddy# cat /proc/ide/hda/settings |grep -i dma
using_dma            0               0               1               rw

> Copy the DVD to HD (or a chapter with mencoder) and see if that does
> anything for performance.

Sorry, but how do I do that?  Using dd?  (All my computing knowledge is
built up--hobbyist level...)

Kenward
--
The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I
have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than