On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 11:08 -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 11:34:21PM -0700, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> > I've tried mplayer, codeine, ogle, totem, and vlc.  Totem ca't read the
> > disc.
>
> xine perhaps?  Although mplayer tends to work too.

Codeine is a frontend to xine, and gives me some info on the settings I
can change in xine as well.  The one setting that _seemed_ to make any
difference was the one concerning a pitch alignment workaround for buggy
(video) drivers.  Still had problems, which xine reports as dropped
frames due to age.

> > I disabled everything else including xscreensaver, and shutdown folding
> > @home as well.  Essentially no processes outside that of the system and
> > X, excepting evolution.  I run fluxbox for WM.
> >
> > I have 2 Gb Mushkin memory.
> >
> > ** One thing that comes to mind is that I have no patch audio wires from
> > the player to the MB at this point.  Could this make a big difference in
> > what the player has to do to get things to work?
>
> That only applies to audio CDs.

OK.  Good to know.

> > I saw a fair amount of output from codeine about dropped frames (being
> > too old) as well as other issues.  I can post some of that in a separate
> > email.
>
> Any chance DMA isn't enabled for the DVD drive?  That would cuase a ton
> of extra cpu work reading the drive and make it read much slower too.
>
> cat /proc/ide/hda/settings |grep -i dma
>
> Replace hda with whatever the DVD drive is.
>
> I have this:
> using_dma               1               0               1 rw

Ahh.  I had not seen this earlier when I scanned your letter briefly
before answering someone else's up the list.  My result:

using_dma           0          0         1         rw

Looks like I need to turn on dma with hdparm.  If that works, I can
place it into rcS.d, yes?

> The first value is current, followed by min and max.  1 means using dma,
> 0 means not using dma.  Usually if you don't have DMA, you have the
> wrong ide driver loaded for your IDE chipset.  Usually the debian
> kernels are quite good at detecting and loading the right drivers from
> the initrd, but sometimes it needs help.

Well, I have an MSI K9A Platinum, with the SB600 controller.  I have to
boot with nomsi/irqpoll kernel options, and currently have msi left out
of the kernel configuration altogether.

I'm uncertain about any kernel configuration items I might want to
activate.  I think I need to burrow into the board's handbook for other
chips which might be a part of the system.

I will get into the BIOS configuration to look at the ide settings (DMA
mode, etc.), but was curious how much difference that makes to the
kernel, as I have always had the impression that Linux works more or
less independently of the BIOS once it has booted up.

Kenward
--
The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I
have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than