On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 13:47 -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 10:41:33AM -0700, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> > Ahh.  I had not seen this earlier when I scanned your letter briefly
> > before answering someone else's up the list.  My result:
> >
> > using_dma           0          0         1         rw
> >
> > Looks like I need to turn on dma with hdparm.  If that works, I can
> > place it into rcS.d, yes?
>
> No, the debian kernels enable DMA by default.  If you don't get DMA it
> almost always means the ide-generic driver is being used rather than the
> driver for your specific chipset.  The generic driver can't do DMA since
> DMA requires specific knowledge of the chipset.
>
> > Well, I have an MSI K9A Platinum, with the SB600 controller.  I have to
> > boot with nomsi/irqpoll kernel options, and currently have msi left out
> > of the kernel configuration altogether.
>
> Oh that stupid chipset.  Is that even working properly with linux yet?

Always good to hear...  :)  The board had a good Linux review when I got
it from Newegg.

> I know 2.6.20 had some more patches to fix some issues with that
> chipset.  If you are running 2.6.18 that Etch uses then I would expect
> problems like this.  2.6.21 from Sid might work better.  In general I
> recommend avoiding ATI chipsets in the first place.
>
> > I'm uncertain about any kernel configuration items I might want to
> > activate.  I think I need to burrow into the board's handbook for other
> > chips which might be a part of the system.
> >
> > I will get into the BIOS configuration to look at the ide settings (DMA
> > mode, etc.), but was curious how much difference that makes to the
> > kernel, as I have always had the impression that Linux works more or
> > less independently of the BIOS once it has booted up.
>
> Which kernel version are you running?

2.6.21

Looks like I should try to get more info about the SB600 and try
different options..

Kenward

--
The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I
have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than