>> kernel-kirkwood-ts219-6282-split3gopt from
>> I'm getting full 1GB RAM without the errors!
>
> Now, the question is, is this an O.K. workaround? Or do we need to
> figure out why highmem breaks on Kirkwood?

Fine by me, but I'm not really in position to say that much. On a personal
level even the mem=768M is ok workaround, I can live with 768MB RAM and I'm
really happy to be able to use Debian 9.0.

It would be nice to see more testing on the kernel at some point. Maybe a
more proper kernel zImage build with CONFIG_VMSPLIT_3G_OPT=y would be
useful too, I don't know what's the cause for my wired network brokenness.
I did build the current kernel in a qemu emulated chroot environment
instead of real hw.

Regardless, for testing, if it helps I put the dtb files extracted from
official marvell 4.9 .deb to https://people.debian.org/~timo/qnap/dtb/

In more detail:
wget
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/main/installer-armel/current/images/kirkwood/network-console/qnap/ts-21x/initrd
# or ts-11x, ts-41x
wget https://people.debian.org/~timo/qnap/zImage
wget https://people.debian.org/~timo/qnap/dtb/kirkwood-ts419-6281.dtb # for
example, depending on your model
cat zImage kirkwood-ts419-6281.dtb > x
mkimage -A arm -T kernel -O linux -C none -a 0x8000 -e 0x8000 -d x uImage

Then follow https://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-219/uboot/ to
boot the initrd + uImage from serial console.

On TS-221, with my USB to TTL cable it worked for me with minicom with the
following pins connected:
https://people.debian.org/~timo/qnap/TS-221_console_1.jpg

For the TFTP server (anything in the same network works), I found tftpd-hpa
simple. Just modify TFTP_DIRECTORY in /etc/default/tftpd-hpa and it just
works.

-Timo