>> 1) The config option change works, but some networking issues were
>> mentioned.  Someone needs to figure out whether that's related.
>
> I would be interested in knowing what the network issues were? They
> might be a pointer to what is going wrong with high pages.

"Network doesn't work". I'm not sure what's going on, but the
installer isn't able to enable the network, even though the network
device exists and can be configured. Cable is connected similarly to
normal operation and lights are blinking (and obviously the system was
just booted with TFTP from u-boot too).

I tried now again, this time with the "zImage_new" which was the one
recompiled natively. It didn't make a difference as the symptoms
seemed similar, so I put some logs (slightly manually redacted for
possible unique identifiers) at:
https://people.debian.org/~timo/qnap/split3gopt-logs/

Syslog shows both installer and me trying to get life into the
network. I tried setting IP and default route manually and pinging the
router but nothing.

Adding to my earlier instructions, if one wants to test those kernels
built by me you now need to fetch the older initrd to go along with
them from:
http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20180605T102632Z/dists/stretch/main/installer-armel/20170615%2Bdeb9u3/images/kirkwood/network-console/qnap/ts-21x/initrd

-Timo