> With only 1G of physical RAM anything using the full 3G would be
> already so far into swapping hell that it seems like it would be pretty
> unusable. So maybe we can assert that it is unlikely that there is any
> real world usage that would be impacted by this change.

Hi Ian

That was what i was thinking. In theory, one of the kirkwood SoCs can
have 2GB of RAM. But i've not seen many 1G machines, let alone 2G.

> Debian uses a Marvell specific kernel, so we don't need to worry about
> the impact on other platforms.

That i was not sure about. Are there any plans to merge all ARM v5
kernels together? Then this would affect more machines.

> > Or do we need to figure out why highmem breaks on Kirkwood?
>
> I guess it would be nice from an upstream PoV to know what was going on
> -- in particular in case there were to be other more subtle side
> effects or corruption possible.

I might be able to hack together a 3.5/0.5G split, so forcing some of
the 512MB of RAM i have in my Kirkwood into highmem. Hopefully i can
then reproduce the issue.

     Andrew